Diversity, inclusion and respect make HLIC a great place to study English abroad.
We value and honour diverse experiences and perspectives, create a welcoming and respectful learning environment, and promote access, opportunity and equality for all. HLIC is committed to educating our students with the global community in mind. Canada is a demographically diverse country, welcoming all people to celebrate their individuality in a safe environment.
The following are examples of our diversity initiatives:
- First Nations in Canada: Language, culture, history and acknowledgement. At HLIC students will participate in additional First Nations language and cultural activities during their studies.
- LGBTQ2SIA+: Support, inclusion, and celebrations. HLIC staff and students represent a wide variety of gender identities and sexual orientations and is a safe environment for all students. Students are strongly encouraged to learn about Canadian/global LGBTQ2SIA+ rights and participate in local Pride events.
- Global Cultures, Ethnicities and Religions: Students will have classmates and teachers with an array of religious/other beliefs, cultural backgrounds, traditions and celebrations. At HLIC, we incorporate events and activities for our students to have authentic and educational cultural experiences.
- January: Martin Luther King Jr. week
- January/February: Lunar New Year
- February: African American History Month
- March: Women’s History Month, International Women’s Day, Earth hour
- April: Earth Day
- June: National Indigenous History Month
- August: National Acadian Day
- October: Thanksgiving, Halloween
- November: Remembrance Day
- December: Hanukkah, Christmas
- Other events at HLIC include Easter, Ramadan/Eid
- Politics: HLIC provides a safe space for students to learn about and discuss local and global political issues.