Last updated: September 1, 2020
Under the guidance of local health authorities, HLIC campus will reopen Friday, September 4, 2020 for classes. HLIC is dedicated to the health and safety of our students, staff and community and as such we will be implementing new safety protocols to ensure we maintain a safe learning environment.
To summarize the basic safety measures being implemented at HLIC:
- All students, staff and visitors must wear a mask while at HLIC.
- All people entering HLIC must sign in before entering.
- Students and staff must take a daily temperature.
- Students and staff must report any unusual symptoms they may be experiencing, such as fever, fatigue, sore throat, cough etc.
- Hand sanitizer is placed in every classroom and is to be used regularly.
- Hand soap is available at our handwashing stations.
- Students and staff are must maintain social distancing while on campus.
- Students and staff are also expected to maintain social distancing in their daily lives as well which includes limiting activities that are considered high-risk.
- All people within HLIC must follow the hallway one-way traffic flow.
- Class sizes will be limited, students will be seated a safe distance from one another.
- Masks and gloves are available at our front desk for anyone who needs them.
HLIC is committed to bringing students quality learning experiences, maintaining a high level of academic infrastructure and providing the expert instructors that students have come to expect from us. In order to support this commitment, tuition fees and policies will not change in circumstance where we are obligated to deliver our programs in one or more alternative formats as a result of events which are beyond our reasonable control, such as- acts of war, terrorism, pandemics, illnesses, viruses, epidemics, governmental mandates, regulations, labour shortages/strikes, or other factors affecting our ability to provide safe instruction to our student population on campus.
Halifax Language Institute of Canada (HLIC) takes the health of its students, staff, and community seriously. Since we learned of the outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have been monitoring the Government of Canada’s health updates on the virus to ensure we are taking all necessary steps to protect our students, homestay hosts and staff.
The current status in Canada of COVID-19 is that it has closed its borders to non-residents. We will be ready to welcome new students the moment Canada re-opens its borders.
The Government of Canada is asking people to social distance themselves and self-isolate as much as possible. The Government has asked that all non-essential services be cancelled and employees work from home if able.
Those who have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days and who develop a fever with a temperature of 38°C or higher, and/or cough, should call 811. Do not present yourself at a hospital or COVID-19 testing site without contacting 811 first. For more Public Health information please visit this website: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221
We wish you the best in health and updates will be provided as the situation evolves.
The HLIC Team